Thursday, October 12, 2006

motivation vs cirmumstances

Its the worse period of everyone's life. Assignments. Dreadful. No one wants to do it. But no choice; in order to pass the unit, graduate, strive for honours, everyone has to do it.

Yeah, this brings me to my topic. Motivation vs circumstances. It has been happening to me, a few of my friends who have been complaining to me about their problems, which I deduce, stems from "the lack of motivation". It happens to us all the time, but it seem to strike a deep chord in me recently.

We are all affected by circumstances. Yes, we are students and we do have to put priorities into our studies. But come on, let's face it. We have 24 hours a day. Let's say we spend 8 hours sleeping (which I'm sure some ppl DON"T). We take 3 hours out from other things (eating, going to the toilet, stoning, chatting, surfing, whatever). I'm sure no one sane person can spend the remaining 13 hours studying (unless thay guy has 100% full power concentration, and if so, I take my hat off them). So what about the rest of the hours that we dont spend studying? Wouldnt we want to do something that we would like to do? Like for eg, spending the rest of the time trying to plan your bf or good friend's bdae? Wanting to hang out with your best pal? Play sport? If you dont spend the time doing it, what does that mean? I deduce two things: either you cant be bothered or you are not motivated to do it. I choose the latter.

I mean, if the person means something to you, I am sure you would take the time out to do something for that person. Even the tinest little bit. Dont tell me, "oh, I have an exam or assignment due in 2 days time and I cant even spend 10 mins talking to my bf/gf". It all boils down to motivation. Being motivated to do something makes you want to do it, and you will take the time out to do it even though you are affected by circumstances (exams, work etc).

A classic example that I can think of are birthdays. I cant change the fact that assignments and exams cloud together in the month of october and november. Its socially structured (Those who plan assignments and exams at that period are idoits, or rather, those whose birthdays fall on those periods and unlucky). I see that all the March & July babies always have something planned for them (surprises, birthday celebrations). that's because everyone's relatively free and do not have something off their hands that they can make time to participate/plan the birthdays etc. Even my sept birthday friends in singapore have exciting birthday activities lined up for them (just look at the recent sentosa celebration for the e3 sept babies). Ah, then come to october. What do the october babies get? Almost nothing. I can count the birthday celebrations for the october babies. Just look at Johnathan, Jeremy, Me and Suyen. I mean, we do get surprised, but our birthday celebrations are not as elaborate as Jasmine's, Jason's, Abel's, Sean's, Lu Hui's or any March or july babies for that matter of fact. Maybe I'm bitter. I havent had a very good surprise or birthday celebration in my life. But the point is, can you see the motivation there? I know everyone's busy with their assignments/exams/thesis whatever, but come on; if I am your good friend and if you really bother, what's taking out 2 hours of your precious time and come ask me out for a dinner right? Unless, 1)I'm not your priority 2) I am not a dear/good/best/girl/boy friend 3) You are really screwed with your work that you need the time to think, sleep, rest so that you get the energy to concentrate on your work, then yeah, no celebrations for me. I choose to think that 1) and 2) are more applicable.

Call me selfish, narcisstic, an idiot, foolish for thinking that way. I am just making a point about motivation. And sometimes, thinking that how people can be "unmotivatied" in doing things piss me off. Well, not pissed. More of disappointment. Enough of disappointment for the last 10 years. I've learnt that with no expectation, you will not be disappointed. The best thing I can do is to make sure I make sure every day is fulfilling and that I am happy, with or without friends.

So, to my friends who is sick of doing assignments/studying. Ask yourself this question. What's your motivation behind studying? When you find the right motivation, trust me. Studying becomes a lot more enjoyable. Circumstances may put you through a rough time, but motivation keeps you going and makes going through circumstances much more interesting, challenging, and enjoyable.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home